The latest Reuters Digital News Report has some interesting findings that every PR practitioner should heed. The global study polled 80,000 online news consumers in 40 markets, including Kenya and the Philippines for the first time.
- Journalism matters again – there has been a sharp uptick in the use of TV and digital news due to the pandemic. Sadly, this renewed interest in the media has not brought more revenue and a further drive towards digital subscriptions is expected. Publishers are increasingly recognizing that long-term survival is likely to involve stronger and deeper connections with audiences online. The report examined the growing importance of emails and podcasts, formats that are being deployed in greater numbers to increase engagement and loyalty.
- The use of online and social media substantially increased in most countries. Facebook and other social media groups are now used on average by around a third (31%) for local news and information.
- Gen-Z (18–24) are more than twice as likely to access news via social media.
- Across all age groups, the use of Instagram for news has doubled since 2018 and looks likely to overtake Twitter over the next year. You need to change course and use Instagram for your news distribution now.
- The most important factor for those who subscribe to online news content is the distinctiveness and quality of the content. Subscribers believe they are getting better information.
- The use of podcasts has grown significantly in the last year. Half of all respondents (50%) say that podcasts provide more depth and understanding than other types of media. Where do they find them? Spotify has become the number one destination for podcasts in a number of markets, overtaking Apple’s podcast app.
Click on the graphic for interactive content.
- There is a growing interest in the news.
- 72% of Americans are getting their news online and via social media, beating out traditional media models.
- Across all age groups, Instagram is becoming the preferred social media platform for news and will overtake Twitter this year.
- The quality of your content is paramount.
- There is a growing preference for podcasts to get in-depth coverage. Spotify is the place to be with your podcast.
This information might give you a reason to rethink your 2020 PR strategy.
If you need help give me a call. 626 676 6419